TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - electrical connectors, washer pump, and startup knocking
People Seeking Info

Subject electrical connectors, washer pump, and startup knocking

Posted by burntclutch on January 24, 2016 at 8:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 296 times.

Message Hey guys, I have a few questions about the 300zx.

First of all, from what I was reading online it seems that corrosion in the electrical connectors is one of the biggest and most common issues people have with the car, with it being the first "go-to" when another problem arises.

New owner's guide said to clean out the electrical connectors with QD, a few files, and dielectric grease, so I bought all the above and popped a connectors open expecting it to be all green. Fortunately, the first 3 connectors I opened up were completely corrosion free, with no trace of green anywhere. After the third one I gave up on opening them and decided that if 3 of them aren't corroded then I should be pretty safe. Is this a bad way to approach this? I live in california in an area where there's practically no rust to worry about on any cars, does this apply to connectors and corrosion too?

Also, my windshield washer pump wasn't working, so I worked my way down to it and tested the wires with a volt-meter. When the the spray button was pressed in the cabin for both the front and back windshield sprayers, the voltage jumped from 0 to 0.01-0.02 briefly. I assume the problem isn't with the pump most likely then but with wiring somewhere? Maybe a burnt out fuse?

Last question- why do I occasionally get knocking, bumping, or quick shakes of the car when I start it up to let it warm up? I'm currently a student living on-campus with no on-campus parking, so I park the car downtown and only drive it Friday-Sunday. As a result the car ends up sitting for a week at a time, and when I go to start it up I make sure to let it warm up for a good 5-10 minutes. The first time of the week I turn it on, it usually makes weird noises and knocks randomly while it warms up (a sort of knocking sound with the whole car "knocking" with it), and then the rest of the few days it's fine. Occasionally if I let it sit on a cold day or night it'll knock like that when I first turn it on regardless of if I've been driving the last few days or not, but that's rarer. Also, the temp-gauge takes 10-15 minutes to rise and there's occasionally a brief squealing noise when I turn it on for 2-3 seconds, maybe 1 out of 15 times I start the car.

I know it's a lot of text, but thoughts?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.