TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I have done a bypass start direct from the + post of the>>
People Seeking Info

Subject I have done a bypass start direct from the + post of the>>

Posted by ZUL8TR on October 27, 2015 at 4:18 AM
  This message has been viewed 238 times.

In Reply To Car won't start, bad starter? posted by AtomicX on October 26, 2015 at 08:14 PM

Message battery to the disconnected starter plug at the starter. This will confirm if the starter is bad because all other systems are bypassed. If car starts then there is a system from starter to key that is bad. To do clip on to the disconnected starter plug wire (starter side of plug) and run a temp 12 or 14 gage insulated wire up to the battery area, turn the key to full ON (no crank position) then touch the + post till the car starts or not.

Since you have a buzzing sound seems the solenoid is trying to work but not enough juice getting there it sounds to me to be the starter relay fault.

The starter relay is located behind the driver side wheel well rear plastic panel. The relay can be bench checked but that usually is a false positive since the amperage draw is not present when doing the check. Get a replacement (last one I replaced on my Z was from Auto Zone with a warranty and works fine ($20). The previous one I bought came from Nissan parts and it failed and had the same symptom as you have, was doing OK 1 minute and bad the next. So OEM stuff fails as well might as well save some bucks.

You may just have a defective battery (don't care if just 2 mos old) so have it checked to make sure.

I don't believe you have problems with the following because you have buzz at the starter but good to know. I have had issues with the clutch safety switch that gets engaged when you press the clutch pedal to the floor. I found broken green plastic button pieces on the floor which are for the switch shaft to depress against. The buttons break with age and the switch will not depress and cause an open circuit.

Also happens with the cruise control switch (also been there and replaced).

For PM look under the dash for green (some black) plastic buttons. I think a dumb design, older cars I had never did it with plastic that decomposes with age. This is especially bad on the brake pedal switch for the brake lights. If that button breaks the tail lights will come on and if not aware of it the battery goes dead. Happened to my other car (Infiniti) when parked in the garage over night, button just decided to break after parked, then in the morning the battery was dead and car battery's are not deep cycle so it couldn't be charged and hold, had to replace the battery.

ZUL8TR in Orlando,FL

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.