TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Cheapest engine rebuild without cutting quality/reliability
People Seeking Info

Subject Cheapest engine rebuild without cutting quality/reliability

Posted by Z32CheekiBreeki on October 11, 2015 at 1:40 PM
  This message has been viewed 670 times.

Message Yeah, yeah 'cheap' and 'quality' don't go in the same sentence

So finally did my twin turbo swap, got it running great making good power. My Z was/is my first car so I was proud as hell that I saved up my money to build my dream car and that me and a couple friends were able to do this without any mechanical knowledge and in only two months too. And 30 miles later, she spun a rod :/ Don't buy used motors I guess.

https://youtu.be/4T9GPcrzBs0

Moving on from my rant, it looks I gotta start budgeting a rebuild. I have no experience rebuilding motors so the questions are endless, but I'll just stick to some of the big ones.

Machine work: when rebuilding a motor what all is generally required? I understand each engine is different and will require different work but I wanna know worst case scenario how much would I be spending and also some personal experiences as to what others have paid for similar rebuilds (I just wanna reliabilty and stock turbo power ~350whp). Basically I wanna take my engine disassembled to a shop and know I'm ordering a bunch of services I don't need. And if any one knows machine shops near Atlanta that have experience with VG's, that would be nice.

Parts: what all can I reuse and what do I absolutely have to buy new. I was thinking of reusing rods, I'm not sure if pistons are reusable though. Also, are forged internals worth it? I realise they're overkill for stock turbos but I'm trying to think about the future if I ever want to make big power. Also parts for heads, what can be reused there? I wanna have an engine that is basically new so I'm thinking new lifters.
as for where to get the kits, obviously OEM or better is the way to go. But I'm also on a college kid budget here(thank god for scholarships). Is the rockauto kit worth anything? 1/3 the price of Z1or CZPs kit is pretty enticing but I don't want to put parts that won't last.

And lastly, and additional tips or resources anyone has is greatly appreciated. I just wanna say how great this community is by the way, without it I doubt I would have ever been able to get this done.

Thank you for taking the time to view my post.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.