TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Some questions about engines.
People Seeking Info

Subject Some questions about engines.

Posted by Placuch on September 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM
  This message has been viewed 357 times.

Message Hello guys!

I'm planning on buying a spare twinturbo engine to build up. I've been looking for a good while and finally came across one that I'll be looking at tomorrow. This engine is out of a 96 car and my current is from a jdm 93(?) I know some differences like different heads, lower plenum, no vtc and so on but I might just not know it all and even if I do know, I would lIke to confirm.

Is it possible to make a 96 engine (obd2) into a 95 engine (obd1)?

I'm planning on getting a new wiring harness anyway, but since all the sensors are not available with the engine, does wiring specialties customize? Meaning mixing some old and some new style plugs into the harness?

Also are all of the new style sensors (cas, tps...) compatible with the obd1 8 bit ecu?

Did anyone manage to prove the superiority of p48 head flow vs a p40? And is it a common practice to do port work on those as well as new style lower plenums?

I have been told the reason why the engine I'm about to look at tomorrow is no longer is use is because the previous owner had some issues with it. He sold it to the current owner who disassembled it and found a bad headgasket. According to the story, during disassembly, the pistons that were fine cracked while being pulled out. This is what worries me. What could cause a piston to crack? As far as I know it could have been due to overheating, knock, piston to valve contact or simply he used a hammer to bang them out. Since the head gasket problem was mentioned I'm guessing overheating is the most likely cause. If that is the case, should I worry about the heads being cracked as well? Cylinder block? Could overheating cause mating surface warpage beyond machinable?

All informative input greatly appreciated!

If there is something I didn't ask about but should know about please let me know.

Thanks,

Maciek

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.