TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I had several emails asking about what the symptoms were
People Seeking Info

Subject I had several emails asking about what the symptoms were

Posted by doug8867 on September 26, 2015 at 11:25 AM
  This message has been viewed 727 times.

In Reply To Rear HICAS Inner Tie Rod & Ball Joint Removal /Installation posted by doug8867 on September 22, 2015 at 08:38 PM

Message of bad tie rods and ball joints so thought I'd post it here the benefit of Search.

Symptoms I had were:
• Uneven rear tire wear.
• One tire breaking free before the other one on hard straight line acceleration.
• Sometimes I had a slight wobble or a slide feeling when going around corners at moderate to high speed, a momentary loose feeling.
• On wet pavement at high speeds the car would struggle to stay in a nice straight line of motion, similar to the feeling of hydro planing
• Also when braking from high speed, for instance, coming off the interstate I would feel a pulsing vibration in the pedal. I had felt this for a while and knew that this can also be a sign of warped brake rotors and since my rotors were old assumed that was the cause of the problem. However, now that I've replaced my tie rods and joints I no longer have the vibration!

One way to check your tie rods and joints is to jack the car up and then go around and grab each wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and push pull on it to see if you can make it move in and out, or if you hear any clicking sound. Do the same thing at 3 and 9. If it moves in any direction or makes a click either the tie rods and/or ball joints are worn. There should be no movement or sound. Typically a click indicates a joint that has lost it's lubrication and is worn. Inspect your dust boots around the joints and if they are cracked or leaking then it's generally time to replace them too.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.