TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I agree
People Seeking Info

Subject I agree

Posted by -Grimm- on September 24, 2015 at 3:55 PM
  This message has been viewed 448 times.

In Reply To Congrats on the new engine. I am sure you will get posted by SammybTT(TN) on September 24, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Message Especially with the statement "I understand by many accounts this was excessive" :)

Since your cam and lifters are essentially 'used' (assuming, that is, that the shop/person that rebuilt your heads kept the lifters in the correct and original location) you don't have to worry about first few steps of a standard break in, which is the cam break in portion that requires high zinc oils.

My engine was almost identical to yours in condition, so this is what I did:

First, load on conventional oil and filters from your favorite place, since you will be changing it a lot.

-Check all fluids, top off as required (leave radiator cap off)
-Initial start up, get car fired up, check oil pressure or any trouble codes.
-Set idle if required and immediately adjust timing as best you can, since it wont be warm the ECU wont go into closed loop idle mode so don't try to get it to 15 BTDC. It will have a minor advance at idle.
-Check for fluid leaks
-With heater on, top off radiator before the engine gets warm, it will keep sucking in coolant as the air is purged from your system. When if starts to stabilize close the radiator cap.

After all this is good, go for a test drive. I drove mine about 100 miles before changing the oil/filter the first time. Then 500 more and oil/filter, now im waiting on 1000 more, then 3000, then synthetic (~5000 miles total before it)

You also want to verify your O2 sensors are responding properly during the first few miles, to make sure you aren't running lean or rich.

Also as stated, you want to alternate building pressure in the chambers (heavy throttle runs) to seat the rings in, and then vacuum (deceleration, in gear) to flood oil onto the cylinder walls to wash away any minor shavings that are created. Not quite to redline, although I'm not sure it would hurt.

I would also recommend forcing your car to be in safety boost mode (I hooked my wastegates directly to compressor outlet pressure) during the first few hundred miles to keep temperatures and blowby minimized.

Have fun with it!

------------------------------------------------------------------
1992 300ZX NA 5 Sp (Dead)
1990 300ZX NA Auto 2+2 (Dead)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (Stock Turbos) (Est. 400 HP)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (GT600R) (Est. 600 HP)
2004 G35 Sport 6MT (DD)
2008 Honda Civic (DD)
1969 Chevy C10 (Toy)
1969 Chevelle (Toy)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.