TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Congrats on the new engine. I am sure you will get
People Seeking Info

Subject Congrats on the new engine. I am sure you will get

Posted by SammybTT(TN) on September 24, 2015 at 12:17 PM
  This message has been viewed 546 times.

In Reply To Best break-in oil and process for new motor posted by Red Hawk (CO) on September 24, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Message a lot of different advice of the break in procedure.

I think one of the most important components for a successful engine break-in procedure is don't use synthetic oil during this time frame. Also if you have new turbos they will require a break-in as well.

I used 10W-30 for the initial start up and oil pressure check, general inspection, and basically to let the engine get warm.

Next I replace oil and filter (including inspection for metallic debri) and re-start and monitored temps and pressure again. Once warmed I checked/adjusted the timing.
I ran the engine at varying rpms for about a total of 15 minutes.

Changed the oil and filter again (including oil & filter inspection) then I drove the car and listened for abnormal sounds. Once in a safe area I would get into third gear and run the rpms up fairly high, but not red-line then foot off the accelerator pedal to create vacuum to help seat the piston rings. I did this for several relatively hard pulls followed by normal driving back to the house.

Yet time for another oil and filter change (inspection of both). then normal agressive driving staying out of the red line to protect my new turbos and manual transmission. I drove approximately 50 miles in this manner.

Guess what time it is???? Oil and filter change/inspection time. Still useing conventinal oil and Nissan OEM filter. Drove regularly with varying rpms and good pulls to red line for the next 100 miles.

Replace oil and filters, drove another 500 miles.

Replace oil and filter, drove 1000 miles. Now engine, turbos, clutch, and transmission have had a good break-in procedure.

Replaced oil and filter with OEM filter and Rotella T6 5W-40 which has a higher level of zinc. afterward I was able to enjoy the new set up. Zinc is an anti-wear additive and is the primary reason I use the T6.

I understand by many accounts this was excessive but this was the recommendation from several people I consider to have better knowledge and experience with engine, turbo, and transmission break ins and aligned with my OCD.

There is a good article from a motorcycle forum that has a good description and reasoning about the drive it like you stole it concept, if I can find it I will post the link.

Good luck and I will sit back and read the replies to follow.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.