TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Replaced Fuel Pump & Fuel Computer Capacitors
People Seeking Info

Subject Replaced Fuel Pump & Fuel Computer Capacitors

Posted by jerdobi on August 29, 2015 at 1:02 AM
  This message has been viewed 522 times.

Message I had some strange noises coming from the area of the fuel pump after the car was turned off when it was really hot, like in the 90 degree range outside. Anyway, I figured it was time to replace the fuel pump and inspect the electric components of the fuel pump computer.

So, I ordered me a new replacement Bosch pump from Coz, pulled the interior trim, replaced the pump (pulling a couple of the hoses off was a pain) and inspected the fuel computer. The fuel pump replacement was relatively easy. But, I felt the computer was having a problem in hot weather when it was overheated. I inspected and could see some light burnt areas around where the heat sinked rectifier and power transistors were soldered to the board; especially suspect were where the 2 x NEC K591 mounted the board. As these parts are hard to source (another story), I moved my attention to the 4 x 47 uF electrolytic capacitors which are easy to source and replace. I've replaced dozens of these types of capacitors as they typically don't survive for over 10 years. So I ordered some high temperature (> 125 celcius) replacements from Digikey (Part # 1189-1009-ND) and replaced all of them with these 100volt replacements for good measure. I could see where one of them (the Nichicon 47 uF 80 volt located at C11) had leaked a bit on the board.

Since putting it back together, the car runs GREAT. It's like when you replace your brakes or clutch and don't realize there weak until you've replaced them. Sound of engine is stronger, pulls up to 5000 RPM stronger and fuel pump is dead silent.

I don't read much about replacing capacitors on the fuel pump computer. But, I'm convinced that its becoming due for these Z cars.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.