TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - That is normal.
People Seeking Info

Subject That is normal.

Posted by ZUL8R on August 20, 2015 at 11:33 AM
  This message has been viewed 193 times.

In Reply To Video of sprocket spinning posted by Diplomat1 on August 20, 2015 at 02:13 AM

Message Or at least it happened to me. You will have to hold the sprocket in place against the tension while you put the belt on the sprocket (lining up the timing marks).

I got the procedure from an article here, but I lined the belt up on the crank sprocket first, braced it on with a prybar by placing between the right-hand side of the sprocket and the metal tongue that surrounds it on the bottom. Don't need to go crazy here, just enough to keep belt teeth from slipping out of place off the crank sprocket.

When you have belt set in place on crank sprocket, start working timing belt onto the applicable sprockets/pulleys in counter clockwise fashion. You will have to hold some of those cam sprockets in place against the tension of the springs - while holding, put the belt on, lining up the timing marks, and they will start to hold in position with the assistance of having braced the belt against the crank sprocket. First couple are the hardest to coordinate.

Don't let the cam sprockets snap back into position - this can potentially bend the valves. I think slowly rolling it into position is not so risky.

Good luck.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.