TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Rebuilding tt ps pump, can I use a C3 Clearance Bearing?
People Seeking Info

Subject Rebuilding tt ps pump, can I use a C3 Clearance Bearing?

Posted by Quick_Z on June 07, 2015 at 9:35 AM
  This message has been viewed 218 times.

Message Rebuilding a dual-chamber (90-93 tt) power steering pump, I've done all the work already, took out the ball bearing right at the front 2 weeks ago, ordered exact Japanes replacement bearing, but I seem to keep getting a C3 clearance (larger than normal radial clearance, i.e. looser precision between the balls and the race to allow room for expansion due to heat-generating applications) bearing even though I've ordered the regular C0 or the regular tight clearance bearing three times now, and I've sent it back twice and asked for the right one. I guess you can't fix stupid.

Anyway, getting very frustrated, I've done some research and found that in bicycle or motorcycle applications, you're not suposed to use C3 clearance bearings, and in general, you should not use a C3 clearance bearing unless the one you are replacing is a C3 bearing. It does, however, state that it's ok to use a C3 bearing in electrical motor rebuild applications, and the ps pump rebuild is somewhat similar to that in radial arrangement.

Are there any people here that would know if it's worth to spend the extra time to wait to get the correct regular clearance bearing, or if maybe based on your experience, it wouldn't make a big difference if I just install the C3 extra clearance bearing since the radial tolerances on a ps pump shaft probably aren't that high anyway because of the way it's designed and has all the extra supports inside the pump? Other than the internal clearance, the replacement bearing is in every way the exact same as the original, part number, type of seals, brand, etc...., it's even Japanese and not Chinese or Taiwanese like most replacement parts are now. Any comments, please feel free to chime in.

Thank you

Follow Ups
  • Rebuilding tt ps pump, can I use a C3 Clearance Bearing? - Quick_Z 09:35:37 06/07/15

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.