TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Bad engine rattle at all RPMs - VTC gears or rod bearings?
People Seeking Info

Subject Bad engine rattle at all RPMs - VTC gears or rod bearings?

Posted by Mikester(Seattle) on June 01, 2015 at 12:36 AM
  This message has been viewed 376 times.

Message So a few years back I had to replace a rod bearing. Two years later, I started getting a loud rattle, similar to the first experience I had. At first the rattle was subtle, only in a narrow PRM band around 3k if I recall. Then it got louder, then it eventually started rattling at all RPMs.

Would this rule out the possibility of it being VTC gears?

If it turns out to be a bad rod bearing, I am considering a rebuilt or JDM engine swap. My car is a 94 MT Twin Turbo. If I go with a JDM motor, will I have to replace the ECU? Do I want to target any specific year of motor? I understand there are some differences between JDM and US spec engines.

If I choose to go with an IPP motor, the expenses add up quick. The car has over 100k miles on it, so turbos should probably be done at the same time. I don't exactly want to have to get new turbos right away, which would then need different downpipes, bigger intercoolers, perhaps a different exhaust, etc. How much of this upgrade path should I consider doing when the engine is out vs. how much can I get away with doing later without fronting the cost all at once? Can turbos be upgraded without pulling the motor?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.