TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - That would mean replacing the brushes would fix the problem?
People Seeking Info

Subject That would mean replacing the brushes would fix the problem?

Posted by Quick_Z on May 26, 2015 at 2:59 PM
  This message has been viewed 205 times.

In Reply To Re: Why does PS fluid kill the alternator posted by MaxxAction on May 26, 2015 at 01:48 PM

Message I had an alternator that had been soaked in ps fluid for about 5 years, not running at all during that time. Even the belt looked like soaked skin that has been sitting in water too long. It had ps fluid everywhere on the back part of it where the diodes and the regulator is. I took it out, cleaned it with brake parts cleaner and blew all the liquid out with an air compressor. To my amazement there was no fluid on the brushes, or I mean they look just fine, and after drying, all the copper winding insulation looks just fine. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it will work just fine once it is re-installed. The only thing that was permanently damaged was the rear alternator bearing, the bearing seal was eaten away at the inner ring, I'm assuming because of being soaked in the steering fluid and not functioning correctly. Anyway, I replaced both bearings, the brushes looked fine, and were barely used, and after re-installing everything, it feels like brand new. My goal is to completely fix the power steering leak before re-installing the alternator.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.