TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Why does PS fluid kill the alternator
People Seeking Info

Subject Why does PS fluid kill the alternator

Posted by 300NASeattle on May 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM
  This message has been viewed 247 times.

Message Hello,

I had an oil leak from plenum gasket for a few month and it was getting oil on the alternator. When I saw the three dash lights flickering I sprayed the alternator thoroughly with an engine degreaser and the issue went away. By the time I was able to get my car to the shop and get the gaskets replaced the flickering was back - sometimes staying constantly on. I did another spraying of the alternator with some foaming degreaser and the alternator is fine until the car warms up or sometimes idling and then the lights come on constantly.

I have verified that when the headlight, battery and break waring lights are on there is no currently coming from the alternator (battery shows 12.3 volts instead of 13 .5).

I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what is causing the alternator to fail from PS or oil getting on or into the wiring. Is it closing a circuit and shorting it out or is the oil eating away some insulating material that it then allowing the alternator to short out.

I really like to understand what is happening. I also do not want to replace a 2 year old OEM alternator if the problem can be corrected by additional cleaning either on or off the car.

Thanks.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.