TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Smooth idle rpm but noticable engine rocking, loping, etc.
People Seeking Info

Subject Smooth idle rpm but noticable engine rocking, loping, etc.

Posted by HYDE on May 09, 2015 at 4:10 PM
  This message has been viewed 311 times.

Message 1992 NA Z.
Ran codes - 55. Multiple times to be sure. No help there.
Ran o2 tests - both sides report fine.
Cleaned every connection I could find against the FAQs suggestions on idle, all looked spotless to begin with. Pulled/reseated many more.
PTU replaced during recall way back in the day.
Anything more technical than that hasn't been done yet.

The engine rocks fairly hard at idle. The idle itself is perfectly solid (needle doesn't move) but there's a noticeable lope in the sound and feel. Smoother at 3k+ but I don't think it's evening out as much as it's harder to notice.

No major service done lately - just smogs and oil changes (not driven much). Injectors were replaced maybe 20k miles ago (many years ago, time wise though). Plugs at the same time. Replaced the battery a month ago (issue present prior).

My Z ran pretty well until about 2months ago when this just began, every time I fired her up. Only thing I'd note - I was working on the fuse panel behind the driver kickplate diagnosing and fixing the AC pod/cig lighter going out late last year - ran fine after though but loads of harness adjustments while under there (fuse on backside of panel... that sucked).

I did have a few issues where I had an uneven idle (flutter from 1k to 300) earlier last year that would happen sporadically. Sometimes it would go away simply by restarting the car. Not sure if this is it coming back to haunt me. I've yet to take it to anyone - starting here to get feedback and see if I can't attempt more myself.

I recorded a video that hopefully demonstrates the issue better. Vibrations in the hood arm, block and even exhaust cans when it was silky smooth before.
http://www.z32.com/host/z32idle.mp4

Plugs? Injectors? I want to think this is something simpler than that - doesn't feel like it did when they failed the first time.
Appreciate any help offered.

-Tim

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.