TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - No oil pressure to head. Check valve issue? Update.
People Seeking Info

Subject No oil pressure to head. Check valve issue? Update.

Posted by TyTyIsFly27 on May 08, 2015 at 12:27 PM
  This message has been viewed 524 times.

Message So I've posted about this a few times so far, and was asked to keep updating on the problem, as it is a fairly strange and uncommon issue I am having.

Long story short, my newly built long block with JWT R5 cams and new oem lifters is having oil flow problems to the passenger head, thus causing some gnarly lifter ticking.

I pulled the head in question to try to get a better look at what could be going on. Luckily all of the factory oil galley plugs on the back of the block had already been pulled out, tapped and plugged. I removed one of the plugs to charge the system with compressed air.
My findings were that the front oil jet was perfectly clear, and had a good amount of pressure. The check valve in the middle of the block, however, was not completely clogged, nor clear. It seemed like there was just the tiniest bit of pressure making it through; hardly anything compared to the front jet.

I know the check valve provides oil pressure to the majority of the head, as the jet is mainly for the VTC. So that would be my issue, correct? Or is this not an accurate way to test since there is a check ball in the middle jet? I know it is there to prevent drain-back, and should let pressure through in this direction. I just wanted to get some other opinions so I can be confident before I go through the trouble of drilling, tapping, and pulling the jets... While trying to avoid filling the block with shavings.

Any input is very appreciated! Thanks again!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.