TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Crank, no start after injector upgrade. Help! Desperate!
People Seeking Info

Subject Crank, no start after injector upgrade. Help! Desperate!

Posted by Placuch on April 26, 2015 at 12:28 AM
  This message has been viewed 447 times.

Message Hello everyone! Like the title says, I need help. I should probably start from the beginning. My car (1990 NA to TT swapped by previous owner) developed a coolant leak last October. I traced the coolant to be leaking from somewhere underneath the upper plenum so I went ahead and pulled off the plenum (for the first time on a 300zx). Then i figured, since i already got this far I might as well do some other things I was planning to take care of in the winter anyway. I bypassed the throttle body cooling, resealed my intake and exhaust valve covers, deleted the EGR (what a PITA), replaced my injectors with nismo 615 I bought slightly used from a member of this forum, and cut off and soldered new connectors for them.

I should clarify at this point, I started the whole process in October as mentioned above, and I'm just about to finish now (it's almost May). First I didn't have all the parts I wanted and I waited for the right time to buy them, then I was waiting for them to come in and some took a few days, others more than a few weeks. And then of course I could never find time.

Other upgrades/changes include installing a Selin setup and replacing the ECU chip with one from SpecialtyZ programmed for 615 injectors and dual intake setup.

Right now I am at a point where everything is installed/reinstalled and the car cranks, but doesn't start. What I've done so far:
-Checked fuel pressure by opening the fuel line after multiple attempts to start the car and pressure was good
-Put an inductive clamp of a timing light on the black wire loop by the PTU that carries spark signal to the coil on cylinder #1 and signal was good.
-Removed the CAS and with ignition on I spun it and injectors were clicking.
-I tried starting the car using starting fluid, but it did nothing.
-Tried pulling the codes using the screw on the ECU and no go. With ignition on, when I turn the screw clockwise and wait 2 seconds the LED should turn off if I remember correctly and when I turn the screw counter clockwise it should start blinking codes. It doesn't turn off or blink. Stays on as long as the ignition is on, no matter if i turn the screw.
-I read something about the grounds in the rear of the engine/plenum. I noticed I don't have a ground going to a threaded spot on the top rear of the driver's side valve cover (i guess some ground wire goes there). Also I don't have anything going to the very rear bolt securing the plenum (the odd one that doesn't have a regular head on it but is threaded inside of its head to take a small bolt to secure the ground I guess).

It has been so long since i disassembled everything, I don't remember every detail and I don't know anyone else in Chicago who owns a z32 so I could take a look at theirs and compare.

I am hoping the issue is with the grounds in the back of the plenum. I tried locating any wires on the harness that might not be hooked up but no luck. If someone could please tell me where to look for those grounds I think I'm missing I would greatly appreciate. It could also be something simple and obvious (to someone else) since the entire process was spread out over a long period of time and many visits to the garage. I might have missed something in between the visits or thought I've done it and i haven't. I just can't think of it now. Please, If you read this throw some ideas at me. Thank you all in advance.

btw. I do have gas in the car (it is a little older since it has been there since fall) and I didn't forget to install spark plugs (I actually checked an hour ago lol).

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.