TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Car won't crank. Starter and solenoid are good. What gives?
People Seeking Info

Subject Car won't crank. Starter and solenoid are good. What gives?

Posted by TyTyIsFly27 on April 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM
  This message has been viewed 1091 times.

Message So I posted this on the 300zx tech help facebook yesterday hoping that I had overlooked something simple, but no luck there yet, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I Just finished putting in a new built engine and new wiring specialties harness. Went to go crank the car today to check oil pressure, but it wouldn't crank.
- I have verified the starter is okay by jumping the signal wire to the power lead on the solenoid.
- Verified 12v to the signal wire when the key is turned.
- I Bypassed the starter relay by jumping it with a paper clip, and can hear the relay clicking. Tried a new relay to be safe.
- Even tried jumping the clutch safety switch.. No luck (I know this is not the problem because the relay will not click when the clutch is not depressed).
- Main fusible link is good.
- I do have power to the ECU and am not in anti-theft mode.
- Battery has been on a charger the past few weeks while the engine was out.

If I get 12v at the signal wire when the key is turned, and the starter is functional, it should be cranking, correct?
This tells me the starter is should be at fault.. But it will still crank when manually jumped to the + terminal.
Thinking about making a temporary connection from the B/Y wire at the relay straight to the starter, or bypassing the relay and jumping straight from the B/W wire to rule out problem with the chassis harness between there and the starter solenoid.

I did power wash the bay while the engine and EFI harness were out, but I only did the lower portion and stayed away from all the wiring. Also let it dry in the sun for quite some time.

Any wiring I should be looking at specifically between the relay and the starter? Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.