TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Follow these instructions and report back
People Seeking Info

Subject Follow these instructions and report back

Posted by Goldchocobo on March 08, 2015 at 8:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 200 times.

In Reply To Re: Code 34 (Knock Sensor) after connector/harness repair. posted by nonstopna on March 08, 2015 at 08:19 PM

Message I have no idea how experienced a mechanic you are. I'll assume you don't know much, and write as much detail as possible. Apologies if I sound patronizing, it's not my intent.

First, clear the codes on the car. You do this by checking the codes twice in a row. From mode 1 -> mode 2 -> mode 1 -> mode 2. Be certain you are getting code 55 (before turning the engine on) after this. If not, do it again.

Now run the car for a few minutes. Gun the engine a couple times for good measure.

Now check codes again. Still code 34? Follow these instructions:

Check continuity (ohms) between pin 23 of ecu and the knock sensor wiring harness.

Scenario 1:
If you get continuity between pin 23 and the knock wire, then you are good fine in this area. If this is the case, and you're still getting code 34, your knock sensor is likely bad and needs replacement or relocation.

Scenario 2:
If you get nothing between pin 23 and the knock wire, you have a break in the wire anywhere between the ecu and the knock sensor. Most likely in the engine bay.

Scenario 3:
If you get continuity between pin 23 and the GROUND of the car, you are shorting somewhere. The knock wire is likely rubbing somewhere on the body of the vehicle, or it's shorting on the ground/shielding that surrounds the wire. You'll need to track this down, and fix it. It's most likely shorting somewhere near your soldering jobs.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.