TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - The starter is located on the passenger-side (USA model)
People Seeking Info

Subject The starter is located on the passenger-side (USA model)

Posted by Zuberman on March 04, 2015 at 2:57 AM
  This message has been viewed 333 times.

In Reply To got it to start (once) >> posted by WE350Z on March 03, 2015 at 01:10 PM

Message of the transmission bell-housing which is where the large part of the transmission meets the back of the engine. Access from underneath the vehicle. Remove the cover from the starter, disconnect the cable/wire and then un-bolt the starter and it should come free.
From what you are describing, especially in regards to the engine being warm/hot, it could be that a typical situation has arisen for a worn starter which is that, when hot, the internal parts swell from the heat and, due to wear or possibly inadequate electrical current, the solenoid will not engage or the internals bind. You can have someone turn the key while you TAP on the solenoid or the starter housing with a hammer or suitable device to see if the solenoid will engage or the internals will "un-bind." You can have your starter re-built, but I would buy a new one from NAPA (the best one they sell with as few re-man parts as possible) or a Nissan dealer. These days I just go ahead and get the best one because I don't have the time or patience to do repairs twice, and it seems like the cheaper I am the shorter time the part lasts.
Don't forget to just clean the contact surfaces for your electrical connections on the starter as well as the bolts and where it mounts to rule out lack of electrical conductivity at the starter before you go and replace the starter.
You might investigate the Starter Relay, but I don't think that's what the problem is.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.