TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Take the alternator out and have it tested, that way if the
People Seeking Info

Subject Take the alternator out and have it tested, that way if the

Posted by davidztt on March 01, 2015 at 3:12 PM
  This message has been viewed 249 times.

In Reply To Starting Issues posted by WE350Z on March 01, 2015 at 02:08 AM

Message alternator is good then you know it's something after the alternator that's not getting the charge to the battery, and you said you thought you smelled something burning. Take the battery out and have it tested. If it's good then you know it's something between the alternator and battery. Take the starter out and have it tested and then if it's good then you REALLY have it narrowed down. And if it's the battery PLEASE consider buying the Optima or at least as good or better battery. I can tell you from experience that my Optimas have WAYYYY paid for themselves! And Optima's are what I'll always get for my vehicles from now on. Strictly speaking for myself, I would take the components to a NAPA or a dedicated auto-electric shop for testing. My experience has shown that testing these components in the car is not always 100% reliable. Also, did you check the fuses under the hood? Checking the wires and connector for the alternator for wear and making sure the contact surfaces for the starter and battery are clean and tight is a good idea as well. If there is something defective going on in the turbo-timer there could be a tiny drain that weakens the battery just enough to cause the problem. I had a similar problem with my 280Z that went on for a couple years until it was isolated to a tiny burn on the stator. That drove me NUTS!!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.