TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Starting Issues
People Seeking Info

Subject Starting Issues

Posted by WE350Z on March 01, 2015 at 2:08 AM
  This message has been viewed 500 times.

Message Lately my Z has been sluggish to start - sounds like the starter would catch and start turning the motor over at first and then just sort of gasp but then starting on the next attempt would typically work.

Tonight when I went to start the car it did this again, and started on the second attempt but then engine died out after idling briefly (dropped from normal 750-1000rpm where it stays until operating temp to 500 rpm then died) which has not happened before. I also thought I may have smelled something burning. Now I am just getting a click (not from the starter but from the ignition) and then nothing...

I've checked all the fuses - they all look good to me. Not sure how to check the relays. I also checked the ground for the turbo timer, when it was first installed it didn't have the best ground connection and caused a similar symptom (clicking ignition - no start).

So - wondering what I should check next? I think the battery is OK but it is rather old (2009 or older). The car doesn't get driven a whole lot and I keep the battery disconnected often. The turbo timer is reading 11.5V with the surface charge well removed. I have a digital mutimeter and a charger / jumper so I can try that as well to rule out battery issues.

What else should check - Starter (solenoid)? Alternator? If the starter had a bad tooth wouldn't I still hear it spinning instead of just "click"? My '85 Z had a bad starter - hitting it with a hammer temporarily remedied that but ultimately it had to be replaced. Still I think I heard something coming from the starter though even when it wouldn't start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2006 Scion tC (Sold)
2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Sold)
2003 Nissan 350Z Track (Sold)
2000 BMW X5 4.4i
1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
1985 Nissan 300ZX NA (Sold)
http://WE350Z.com>v
WE350Z at gmail dot com

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.