TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Firewall flexing at clutch master cylinder
People Seeking Info

Subject Firewall flexing at clutch master cylinder

Posted by rcmadness on February 28, 2015 at 10:54 AM
  This message has been viewed 323 times.

Message I have a 1996 NA that is pretty nice (108,000) and I bought it to be my end game. By that I mean I hope to finish it all with new interior, TwinZ body kit, 1000+ whp, etc. etc. When I first got the car the clutch wasn't disengaging all of the time so knowing that this engine/drivetrain wasn't going to be in it for long I simply adjusted the clutch push rod and kept driving it. Had to do the same thing a 1000 miles or so later, it's an NA and doesn't produce enough power to slip the clutch so what the heck, burn the clutch up if need be because it's not going to be in there forever...

I let my son drive the car for a couple of days and he came got me for lunch and we drove it to the restaurant and upon leaving, the car wouldn't crank. I looked at him and he said "I've been having to push the clutch really hard to get it to start". I look at how hard he is pushing the clutch and am like, OMG. I forgot to mention that I did replace the slave cylinder as soon as I got the car and it already had a different hydraulic hose from master to slave (the hose looked pretty cheap), again not caring a whole lot. While bleeding the master and filling the reservoir I noticed the firewall flexing quit a bit but in the back of my mind I'm thinking a built auto will take care of this. Now back to not cranking at the restaurant.... It turns out, the firewall is now flexing so bad that the clutch pedal arm is bottoming out on the floor and not depressing the clutch switch so I reach down and hold the switch by hand to get the car started but it is now very hard to shift and the clutch is not disengaging by much. By the time we made it back to work it wouldn't even come out of gear.

Has anyone had to reinforce the firewall for the clutch? I know there is a bracket for the brakes but google didn't help me find one for the clutch. You can reach down and grab the clutch pedal with two fingers and pull the pedal towards you 2" with minimal force. I did notice the standoffs on the inside mounting area on an NA are only 8-10mm and offer no way of spreading the load on the firewall. I have a good idea of what needs to happen to fix it permanently but I really don't want to go through all of the trouble doing so since it will eventually have an auto in it. Hoping someone has seen a reinforcement bracket of sorts that can be purchased and requires minimal effort to install.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.