TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - so i (think) figured out what happened
People Seeking Info

Subject so i (think) figured out what happened

Posted by genic on February 22, 2015 at 12:03 PM
  This message has been viewed 184 times.

In Reply To ?, tranny out of the car...what is the best way to test it posted by genic on February 21, 2015 at 12:59 AM

Message so, a couple of things seemed to be the problem.

a) there was a TON of caked on clutch dust in the bell housing (a good 1/8th inch or more..aka a LOT). the dxd clutch was pretty eaten down, but the segmented flywheel (i forget the make off the top, red cryo treated) looked fine, but the segments need to be replaced.

2) the longer u-shaped spring that connects lower on the fork was popped off on one side.

iii) the throwout bearing was kinda stuck on the end of the shaft due to the shaft having very little grease on it, and i could not move it with the fork. ..so thats where i think i could not change gears...the throwout bearing was binding on the shaft.

fourth) i popped off the top cap and all the linkage there was working fine and i could get the tranny to go into different gears (its hard to twist the clutch link and push it in to change into different gears) ....so..thats all good.

iv) things inside of the bell housing needs to be cleaned completely, lubed, and just replace all the clutch assembly parts.

so, basically...i seems that everything was just WAY too dirty ... i will post pictures of all of this shortly. hopefully it was not a flaw with the dxd hd street clutch and the segmented flyhweel...but i dont think that was a problem.
pictures to come.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.