TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Do you suspect the Xmission is bad?
People Seeking Info

Subject Do you suspect the Xmission is bad?

Posted by SammybTT(TN) on February 21, 2015 at 10:53 AM
  This message has been viewed 177 times.

In Reply To ?, tranny out of the car...what is the best way to test it posted by genic on February 21, 2015 at 12:59 AM

Message As mention the only true way (that I know of) is for an in vehicle test. Recently i thought my input shaft bearing was bad so I replaced it and then put the xmission back into the car and still had the same noise even after replacing the pilot bushing and TO bearing.

After this practice of removing and installing transmissions I just ordered a 98+ spec from Z1. As mentioned above it's was going to cost about $1000 for the rebuild and that was with me preforming the removal and install so I opted to spend additional money for a new xmission with the updated syncos. Any used xmission is a gamble and I just didn't want to go that route at the time.

I have my original xmission that I plan to have rebuild one day. To rebuild our xmissions without the proper tools and hydraulic press would be a challenge. If I had the proper tools I could have replaced the input shaft bearing without cracking the case.

If there is no known issue I would drive it until an issue occurs. The above information provided by Cap will help you determine if there is suspect internal excessive wear or damage.

Good luck

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.