TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My first post I said I'd do Bearings
People Seeking Info

Subject My first post I said I'd do Bearings

Posted by Cjw3 on January 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 246 times.

In Reply To What would you consider doing if it were you? Would you do a posted by hcaulfield57 on January 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Message It all depends on your talent, and what is available to you..

I'm not suggesting rebuilding a good 100K motor, UNLESS you have money, and want 500Hp..

100K miles is a lot of miles.. not by todays standards, but it's still a lot of miles..

Small import Motors are good to get 50K on an aftermarket Turbo set up.. 100K on a factory turbo is great.. LIKELY your motor wont see 200K without some attention to the innards..

Rings usually means the engine comes out.. PITA.. and MOST cars will not 'Toss a Ring'.. and I'm not suggesting you do rings or pistons.. but engines will toss a rod.. or at least wear out the rod bearings and it's all downhill from there..

If the car is running good.. and you want to push it harder.. the Rod bearings will take the brunt of the increased forces..

IT you have the Time, Ability, Space to roll in some new rod bearings, now would be a good time to do it..

I still have not touched a running breathing VG30DETT yet.. I have one in a basket...

The 3 of the NA's that are in the mix of cars I somehow have the privilege to work on ( For Free I might add ) all have shown severe Rod bearing Wear at 200 to 250K Miles.. and I have rolled new ones in and all is good.. ( except for the 200K Complete rebuild NA.. and these bearings were gone also )..

So I'm advising if it is possible for you to slide in new rod bearings as an insurance pollocy, do it..

If it somehow not in your cards to do it.. then don't..

There is no 'You have to' when it comes to your decisions.. your world is different than mine.. I'm a little more proactive..

I slid in new rod bearings on my NA DD Car ( not Nissan ) at 100 K.. then I took it to 300K when I had a new engine ready to drop in.. Now have 40K on that motor..

Oh yes.. Congratulations on your new car.. 300's are great.. but if you don't work on them yourself, they can be a money pit..

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.