TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Finally have some compression numbers, any thoughts
People Seeking Info

Subject Finally have some compression numbers, any thoughts

Posted by msb1987 on January 10, 2015 at 9:53 PM
  This message has been viewed 292 times.

In Reply To Update & progress to my issues posted by msb1987 on January 10, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Message would be appreciated.
So the quick and dirty background

-- 1994 2+2 NA 151,xxx miles. Less than 10,000 miles on 120K service with new pulleys & sprockets
-- Car was running fine until...
-- #1 was dead confirmed by power balance test.
-- Exhaust smelled of gas and smoke was present.
-- Replaced all spark plugs with recommended NGK
-- Replaced PCV valves & hoses
-- Discovered #1 injector was free flowing fuel, replaced & confirmed fuel leak was gone. Started it just enough to have a good night's rest.
-- Oil change 10W-40 (all it has ever had), let drain for about an hour and free flowed a quart
-- Put a little oil into #1 and cranked engine without fuel or spark to distribute oil in the fuel washed cylinder
-- Power test shows all 6 firing
--Warm up for compression test
-- Smoke from both exhausts, maybe still rich but nothing like before. Maybe explained below. Definitely smelled more like oil burning.
--pulled the plugs #3,5,4, & 6 all looked normal, light gray. #1 dry carbon (not surprising considering what it lived through during testing), #2 some carbon, some light gray but most importantly, wet with fuel. (rich???) Looks like another injector R&R for me.
--Compression numbers, dry/wet: #1-170/180, #2-180/200, #3-160/175, #4-190/210, #5-200/220, #6-160/180

So obviously I need to change the #2 injector before it starts pouring in fuel like #1 did. But I'm not sure about the oil burn. Do my numbers support the burning of oil? Car won't be driven until the injector is replaced Monday or asap.

Thanks for getting through all of this!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.