TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - That seems to be more than just a tick
People Seeking Info

Subject That seems to be more than just a tick

Posted by Z32CheekiBreeki on December 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM
  This message has been viewed 196 times.

In Reply To N/A Engine Noise posted by S1j9m85 on December 26, 2014 at 09:37 PM

Message To me it sounds too fast to be anything related to a belt. When I got my Z32, the timing belt tensioner collapsed after a few months, casing the belt to slap at idle, but you could stick a screwdriver up to the top of the timing cover and hear it pretty distinctly. (video for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poe5BQA-4QY)

Now I have never heard rod knock in person, but by comparing to other videos it seems yours doesn't metallic enough or really loud enough to be rod knock, but that could be due to the quality of the video. Really, its hard to say without hearing in person, the best you could do is reupload a video with a higher quality microphone.

I would take off a timing cover and run the car for a bit and watch to see if the belt is slapping around, if it is well you found your answer.

Otherwise, take a funnel and attach some rubber hose to the end, stick the big end of the funnel to your ear and run the hose around your engine bay to see if you can try and atleast locate the source of the noise.

How is your oil pressure btw? If the stock gauge isn't working, try hooking up a mechanical gauge where the stock sending unit goes and get a reading.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.