TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Fluid settled atop intake valves???
People Seeking Info

Subject Fluid settled atop intake valves???

Posted by LivinTheDream on December 21, 2014 at 12:55 AM
  This message has been viewed 250 times.

Message I figure it to be gas but I wanted to get ideas anyway. I pulled plenum to install new injectors and looking down the lower plenum ports I see a fluid settled around the outer rim of the intake valves. All basically except one set that were not seated. The fluid seemed green in color from my view point but when I absorbed a bit on the tip of a Q-tip it was orange in color. Very similar to power blaster. I don't use regular coolant and the color of my coolant is brown. The fluid had basically no smell and was resistant to flame when I tried to burn the tip of the Q-tip. I don't see any means of coolant getting into the intake regardless. The upper plenum was completely dry and free of any residue along with the intake hoses. I swabbed the seat of the fuel rail and the fuel delivery ports and picked up a slight bit of the same looking stuff on a few of them.
I'm guessing that the old injectors has very slow leaks, not closing fully. This caused settling of gas which eventually evaporated and became a petroleum based oil. This would explain why the car would struggle to start initially or stay idling if I let it sit for a week or so. Nothing else comes to mind. Unless water got in through the intake as I leave the nose pannel off and it mixing with oil vapor residue turned it orange. But then there wouldn't be any of the water left to rest on the valves after the engine was running.... I think gas from old sad injectors.... What do u guys think???

"torque gets you off the line...& hp gets you over the line." -
TTKeeper

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.