TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Clutch help please (LONG)
People Seeking Info

Subject Clutch help please (LONG)

Posted by SammybTT(TN) on December 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 258 times.

Message While cruising around last Sunday I decide to downshift and give the engine a little work out before returning to the house.

I depressed the clutch and downshift into 2nd except the only thing that happened was a hard grind. Thought it was something to do with my timing since I hadn't drove the car in about a month so I tried again and same thing, hard grind. I tucked my tail and went to the house.

Currently I have the shift trim off because I re-wired my stereo and replaced the shifter and brake boot.

I have a brand new 99 spec manual transmission from Z1 and I have been fairly easy on it and currently there is about 2000 miles on it with Redline MT90 fluid.

My clutch is relatively new SZ high 5 with a new throw out bearing, and heavy duty fork and chrome moly pivot ball. I replaced the slave cylinder due to a leak some time ago.

Everything was going well for the drive until I attempted the downshift.

Last night I got under the car and everything appears to be intact and absolutely no leaks, fork arm appears to be secure, shifter is connect to transmission, all bolts in place.

When I was removing the interior I noticed there was a small leak behind the clutch pedal so I figured the clutch master cylinder is on the way out. I have one a new OEM part ready to install this weekend.

Is it possible that this small leak would affect the second gear grind. Actually I don't think the transmission will go into second.

I am about to go drain the clutch system and do another mechanical inspection to see if I missed something last night.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I really can't believe that the transmission would be bad and at the same time I wouldn't think the small leak would affect 2nd gear as all the other gears appear to be fine.

Thanks for looking!
Cheers,
Sammy

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.