TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Thanks Guys
People Seeking Info

Subject Thanks Guys

Posted by Cjw3 on November 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM
  This message has been viewed 688 times.

In Reply To Chipping the ECU posted by Cjw3 on November 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Message I figured I share what I've learned about Chipping this ECU..

Moates.net is a GOOD Source for hardware and information.. Need to keep guys like him ( and zromtech !) around for us 'Normal Humans' to be able to keep these cars tuned and running.

A few other points..

The bulk of the ECU I'm chipping were E-Bay purchases, FED-Auto-Na's.. getting them for the 75 to 100 range.. of the 6 I have done so far, one was tits up dead after chipping.. NOTHING No Start.. no Limp Nothing.. but I did not check to see if it ran before hand.. I recommend you do that before chipping.. even if the ECU is 'Wrong' ( Na vs TT or Auto VS Man ) see if it will fire.. this will let you know before you do all the work..

Some of the ECU's, I pulled the Chips out Intact, I always had problems getting the Chip off!.. I made a MASSIVE Soldering Iron Tip that straddled the Chip, and heated ALL of the Legs, to melt the Solder.. the Chip would mostly lift of except for the Stuck Pins on 1-24..

After 'Cutting the Legs Method', I found out that the Chip is somehow stuck in the Holes for 1 and 24..
I was able to read the chip ( it was a JDM TT Code ) after removal, but heat damage trying to get the Two Front Legs out with the MASSIVE soldering Tip Attached caused the PROM to fail after 5 Minutes Powered Up.. Power Down, and let it cool, and I was able to read it again.. So it was not a total failure.. I was able to burn that code into a EEPROM and run it.

I only do this for fun.. so your on your own for chipping ECU's..

When I first started playing with Proms Code, I had what was identified as a '93 NA MT Fed Prom BIN I found.. and I loaded it into my First Chipped NA ECU.. It had minor problems.. It would run, but the O2 Sensor on the Right Bank would go Lean until I'd Reset the ECU, then it'd come back fine for a While.. zromtech Identified it as a Bad Rom Read from the Code I was using..
The Code I pulled from a Lib File someone posted in a Forum was a corrupted file.. it was only 3 bytes that were bad..

be careful of the Files you use.. get them from a Known Good Source.. that is why I was trying to get the ROM of Intact.. But I have the Codes I need now, so it's the Dremel method for me Now..

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.