TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - It's not the starter making the sound, it's
People Seeking Info

Subject It's not the starter making the sound, it's

Posted by doug8867 on November 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM
  This message has been viewed 376 times.

In Reply To One starting problem/coincidence follow up: Still need help posted by doug8867 on November 22, 2014 at 01:50 PM

Message the AVCR boost control solenoid mounted near the pop charger!

I was under the car testing the voltage of the ignition wire to the starter. Had my wife turn the key to the ON position to see if my voltage light lit up, and then I heard the very loud clicking/ticking starter-like sound coming from the front of the engine, not the starter. After pin pointing the area where the sound was coming from, I removed the nose panel I could hear/feel it coming from the solenoid. WTF?

It continued making the noise even after key was turned to the OFF position for 7 or 8 seconds. When I went in my glove box and messed with the settings, the solenoid would make the loud sound here and there before stopping. I turned the setting to OFF and tried to start the car and that didn't have any effect.

Then after a few more tries it didn't make any sound. Disconnected the battery cable, checked some other stuff, reconnected and tried again and the sound was back.

I also checked the boost control wiring at the ECU and all the boost controller wiring splices appear to be intact so nothing has come loose there.

Just for shits and giggles I removed the Theft and Ignition Coil relays and tested them and they both are fine.

So the question is whether the loud boost control solenoid noise is indicitive a faulty solenoid and the cause of the engine not starting and dying, or just a symptom of something else?

Would the boost controller have anything to do with the non-starting issue?

If so, is there an easy way I could bypass the controller to see if it starts when not in the loop?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.