TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - One starting problem/coincidence follow up: Still need help
People Seeking Info

Subject One starting problem/coincidence follow up: Still need help

Posted by doug8867 on November 22, 2014 at 1:50 PM
  This message has been viewed 348 times.

Message My original post here was in regards to my car dying while driving and then not restarting. I had also had some very intermittent issues where the starter continued to run after the car was shut off for a few months prior.

I replaced the starter and the starter relay this weekend.

However it did not solve the problem. The car will crank like normal, but still not start. The starter also continues to run chattering for several seconds afterwards.

Kinda baffled by this. More by the starter continuing to run than the non-starting issue. Thought replacing the starter and relay would have solved the starter running issue.

Any one have any thoughts on why this is still occurring?

From what I can find in the service manual it looks like looking into the ignition switch is the next step. Not really clear on how to troubleshoot this however.

I'm also going to check the fuel pump relay and fuel pressure. But wondering if I have some other electrical thing going on?

I checked the fusible links and the 3 engine grounds and they all appear to be intact and connected. Battery and battery cable is new and shows 12.3 volts.

At the beginning of August I installed an aftermarket Sony radio I got from Crutchfield that was said to be a fit for the Z. The new radio had an auxillary input for an ipod. I discovered the hard way that even when my ipod was turned off but left plugged into the radio, it still drew power and ended up causing slow start ups and eventually killing my 3+ year old battery in mid October. I got a new battery, and now disconnect the ipod when I turn the car off and have experienced no more issues while the car was running.

But considering the other issues I'm not having, I'm thinking about disconnecting the power wires from the radio to see if that has any impact...

Thoughts on where I should start first?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.