TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Update on Intermittent power loss: At this point,
People Seeking Info

Subject Update on Intermittent power loss: At this point,

Posted by ZTicket(Dallas) on November 03, 2014 at 9:57 AM
  This message has been viewed 419 times.

Message I'm going to give props to aliaZ. I thought I was having electrical problems, i.e. car would die unexpectedly and after sitting for 10min or so, it would start and behave normally. During the 10min of waiting, when trying to crank it, the starter would drag despite having a full battery charge. This convinced me that the FPCU or Fuel pump itself was shorting out and failing to deliver fuel.
I put a fuel pressure gauge in-line, got it to fail and read the gauge. It would pressurize to 37psi then dribble down to zero. FSM said that if car looses power during cruise or while turning(my car did both), check the fuel pressure regulator. aliaz said the dragging starter might be due to "hydrolocking" from raw fuel going past the fpr into the cylinders. I say he was right. Replaced the fpr last Friday, and the Z hasn't stalled/failed yet. I'm cautiously optimistic. The problem was intermittent after all, but I think this fixes it. Thanks to all who helped me figure this out. Big thanks to aliaZ.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.