TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Those directions are for checking the oil after an oil
People Seeking Info

Subject Those directions are for checking the oil after an oil

Posted by Tanley on October 26, 2014 at 9:23 AM
  This message has been viewed 280 times.

In Reply To Per Factory Service Manual, page MA17 posted by ttz'in (NorCal) on October 26, 2014 at 02:36 AM

Message change. The reason you run it and confirm the oil level after an oil change is so the new oil can circulate through the oil filter, oil gallies, etc. which will then give you an accurate reading on the stick. If you added around 4 quarts into the crankcase.

Once you run the engine the first time after the oil change you should always check your oil with the engine cold to get the most accurate reading.

Unless I misunderstood the post, he checked the oil on a cold engine and not directly after an oil change. It was not registering on the stick so he ran the engine then rechecked it which is wrong in my opinion and will give you a less accurate reading.

One other note: After a couple minutes of letting the oil drain back into the pan it shouldn't make too much of a difference between a completely cold engine and a warmed engine, but I still prefer to check the oil stone cold and do recommend that. Also, if you do check the oil after recently running the engine, it is more important to wipe the stick and check a second time to get a more accurate reading.

IMO he was at least a quart low when he checked the oil, cold engine.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.