TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Why are my front wheels touching the upright on full lock?
People Seeking Info

Subject Why are my front wheels touching the upright on full lock?

Posted by ryzan on October 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM
  This message has been viewed 279 times.

Message Bad title I know, but hopefully photos explain the problem better. Got under the zed the other day only to see that my front rims have been rubbing and started eating away at the outer lip. You can see this in the below photo where it has taken the black paint off and left the exposed alloy. Both wheels are worn like this but not the whole way around.

photo IMG_2198_zps435fcade.jpg

So I started looking and saw a mark on the uprights that perfectly lined up with the wear on the rims.

photo IMG_2193_zps68b248fc.jpg

photo IMG_2197_zps9e7d53e9.jpg

So I disconnected the tie rod to get those above photos. That's as far as the knuckle will rotate before hitting the ground away bump stop (which is further than the rack will currently travel). And I can't figure out why they have been making contact. There's probably close to a 1cm gap there and that's as close as I could get it to rotate. There doesn't appear to be any play in the wheel or kingpin bearings so should I expect this much flex/play in the hub and bearing under high load? (also I wouldn't expect it to be pretty much the same on both sides if it was a bad bearing). It's got me confused and I can't think of any other reason for it to be making contact though.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.