TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Caster and adustable tension rods beyond suggested max
People Seeking Info

Subject Caster and adustable tension rods beyond suggested max

Posted by Metacom on August 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM
  This message has been viewed 239 times.

Message I recently had SPL tension rods installed and after wards went to get an alignment.

Adjusting caster to where the machine said it was suppose to be made the driver side rub against the front of the wheel well and the passenger side to be clearly set way too far back.

So caster was adjusted manually to where the same spot on both tires (a little past the treads onto the sidewall) is right about 2-3/4 inches from the body of the car, not the fascia.

While the wheels appear to be centered in the wheel well the tension rods them selves are a little beyond what SPL said should be max length of adjustment.

Driver side adjuster sits right about 19.40mm (3/4 inch max = 19mm) and the rod end sits at 12.20mm (5/8 inch max = 15.8mm)

Which I suppose I could put the adjust down a little and extend the rod end on the driver side but...

Passenger side adjuster is at 21mm (+2mm above max SPL recommends) and rod end at 14mm.

Those max numbers are coming from [ http://cdn.splparts.com/tech/SPLTRS13.pdf ]

What would be causing these tension rods to have to be so far cranked out just to keep the wheels centered? ...are the wheels suppose to be centered or further front or back?

Is driving with the T-rods past max going to cause them to bend or sheer off the threads?

There is no record of a wreck and everything else is stock and all other suspension is still original factory.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.