TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Fuel issues
People Seeking Info

Subject Fuel issues

Posted by Kvert on August 25, 2014 at 7:29 PM
  This message has been viewed 174 times.

Message Back story: Purchased a nice 93 vert with 51k about a year ago. Had a slightly rough idle and decided to replace the injectors with remanufacrured new style injectors. Did this about 6-8 months ago and it help smooth out the idle.

Fast forward: Was driving home today and noticed power dropped out like a cylinder went out halfway home. It came back in and then back out. Noticed a bit of a gas smell and looked at my gas gauge and noticed I had gone from half a tank to empty over a 10 mile span. I pulled the car over turned it off. Looking under the hood, I was expecting a blown fuel line and gas all over. However, nothing remotely close to fuel spray anywhere. Checked the exhaust and found a strong fuel smell and fuel in the driver side exhaust. At that point, I figured it was a bad injector or o-ring failure. I did check the fuel regulator and damper vacuum lines after I got it towed home to make sure it wasn't a failure there and sucking gas into the intake, but they were clean.

I'm getting ready to check things out and tear it down to repair. My question is would a bad injector really suck out a half tank of gas in 10-15 minutes of driving? or is this an o-ring issue? If it were an o-ring, I'm surprised it lasted this long and failed now.

I'll be airing out the cylinders and checking which one is leaking and roll it over by hand to make sure it doesn't lock up before doing a compression test. If all this passes, I'll replace the injector and o-ring and change the oil.

This is the first time I've dealt with an issue like this so any advice I'm missing would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.