TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - How long should pressure hold on coolant pressure test?
People Seeking Info

Subject How long should pressure hold on coolant pressure test?

Posted by ZUL8R on August 02, 2014 at 10:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 189 times.

Message Hi - I have been dealing with overheating problem.

I have replaced radiator, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat. Fan shroud is on. Aux fan is working.

If I idle car to warm up for 15 minutes and then drive four or five blocks, temp exceeds half-way mark on gauge and radiator cap releases pressure.

I did a coolant pressure test tonight, pumped it up to 16 pounds, came back 20 minutes later and it was at 15 pounds. Is this normal for a tight system or is this minimal pressure loss likely a symptom of my overheating issue?

I did see some leaks - there is a drip coming from the coolant bypass hose (why didn't I replace those when I put the water pump in!!!?) It wasn't leaking before I did the water pump. Water pump was fine, btw. There are also some slow drips on what looks like some type of loop patch on the lower radiator hose, and also slow drip on a similar patch on the overflow hose.

We are talking really slow drips here. One drip hits the floor per 30-45 seconds. Would these leaks cause my car to overheat so quickly?

I'll replace all the hoses but just wondering if I should get my hopes up...

Andy

"Yeah, it can break the tires loose."

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.