TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Fires on 3 cyls. The maf determines what side
People Seeking Info

Subject Fires on 3 cyls. The maf determines what side

Posted by jem_usmc on July 21, 2014 at 5:33 PM
  This message has been viewed 160 times.

Message I'm hoping to shed some light on a issue I've been troubleshooting for a month now. Let me tell you the story first. I've been gathering parts to do a rebuild on my 90 na for quite some time now. I decided to pull it in march because the timing belt neede to be done. I decided to go ahead and do the rebuild while it was out. Rebuilding went smoothly got it all back togather and in the car to have to take the passenger side head back to the machine shop because I couldn't get any compression 170 on cyls 2,4,and 6 but 0 on 1,3,and 5. Turns out te lifters were the problem (stuck fully extended) so I replaced those 12 lifters. Anyway, fully asymbled and cranked it for the first time with no luck. I found that I had a bad maf. Replaced maf and cranked up. But it will run extremely rich on the drivers side. It is a burnt fuel smell, you know, the kind that burns your eyes. The passenger side is fine. Here is the fun part.... If you unplug the maf the issue swaps sides,,,, the drivers side runs gray and the passenger side is rich. To the point that it bearly dies when you do a balance test.

Here is what is new..., oem main harnes, oem sub harness, oem o2 sensors, ptu, knock sensor and sub harness, rings, main and rod bearings, 12 lifters (passenger side) Pcv valves, 120k timing kit, 6 new injectors, temp sensor

This is what I have done..., the output voltage on the maf is 1.63 at idle a little high but it's still around where it needs to be btw the maf is not a oem sensor so I haven't completely ruled tht out. I have swapped the ecu with a know good one, I've swapped the cas with a know good one, I've ohmed all my grounds, I've checked the mechanical and cas timing several times, I've even counted the cogs to be 100% curtan. I've set my tps to 4.5 volts and swapped with a known good one. I have even swapped the brand new parts with known good ones other than the injectors.

At this point I don't know what else to try. I have consult but I can't get the dang thing to conect. I need to get this Z back on the road I miss it. What am I doing wrong?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.