TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Low beams stopped working after pod LED install
People Seeking Info

Subject Low beams stopped working after pod LED install

Posted by Bryan (NoVA) on July 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM
  This message has been viewed 270 times.

Message Let me start by saying the electrical system section of the service manual makes my brain hurt. I’m horrible with troubleshooting electrical problems so I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem and might have some suggestions for me.

The Problem: I purchased the interior LED kit with capacitors from “Zilver” and did the headlight pod first. Everything worked and looked great. I then moved to the digital climate control pod and installed all the bulbs except that little bastard light with the flimsy rubber casing (maybe the wiper bulb?). Again, everything tested fine. Finally, I somehow installed the LED to the bastard light incorrectly because when I turned on the headlight switch, my dash lights stopped working and only the high beams came on with the low beam setting. All of the climate control functions continued to work, along with the turn signals, cruise control and brake lights, just no dash lights or low beams.

Steps Taken: My first step was to check all the interior fuses. All fine. I checked all of the fuses in the engine bay and I believe they were fine as well. Not entirely trusting my old RadioShack multimeter, I pulled every one of them for a visual inspection. I then swapped some of the similar-looking relay switches and back again just to see if I could find a faulty switch among them and nothing changed. As a last resort, I bought some spare stock pods from Bernie just to see if the problem had anything to do with my “modified” pods and they were no different. They produced the exact same problem.

Any ideas? I’d like to get this resolved asap so I can pass VA inspection and (legally) drive my Z again! Thanks.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.