TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Front suspension popping
People Seeking Info

Subject Front suspension popping

Posted by TriniTT on April 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM
  This message has been viewed 275 times.

Message On my 96 slicktop, I have a strange popping sound coming from the front suspension, it sounds like it's only on the driver's side but occasionally I believe I hear it faintly on the passenger side as well. The noise happens when I put a certain amount of stress on the brakes, but I don't have to be going fast for it to happen. It can happen when I'm coming to an abrupt stop from a lower speed, and it also happens when I back out of my driveway. It feels like it's right around the front suspension area of the car.

My profile is current, my front suspension is as follows:
-Stoptech ST40 calipers
-Powertrix front upper control arms
-Powertris front tension rods
-Powertrix ultrlite coilovers
-Stillen sway bars
-Powertrix solid sway bar end links
-Moog inner/outer tie rod ends
-ES urethane steering rack bushings

I think that's about it. All of my adjustable components are tight and I can't seem to find the culprit. Could it be the front king pin bearing? I had swapped in another pair of used front uprights when I ditched my Brembos, so I'm wondering if they're bad. I haven't noticed any excessive play nor any vibrations while driving.

When I firt noticed it, I thought for sure it was the front upper control arms as that's exactly what it feels like, but I have barely put 5k miles on these since brand new and every component on them seems tight.

I also wonder if this is typical of Stoptech calipers and it's just the pads sliding forward, but usually when I let off the brakes it pops back as if something is moving and then resettling.

Any suggestions and methods for checking are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers,
JBrobst

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.