TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Running super rich/sputtering
People Seeking Info

Subject Running super rich/sputtering

Posted by TyTyIsFly27 on April 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM
  This message has been viewed 444 times.

Message Hey everyone. I recently finished up installing my EXP90 kit, got the car back together and started it up.
My AFR is in the 10's at idle, and when I touch the throttle the car will sputter and want to die out (I can only assume because it is drowning itself). When touching the throttle, the AFR goes from extreme rich to extremely lean, then settles back into the 10's. Not sure if this is normal since I just installed the wideband.

I have tried a bunch of things, which I will list below along with everything that I have changed while the motor was out, but nothing has worked so far. I had a similar issue last year; swapped out all my coil packs for another used set, and everything was fine. But all of my coil packs test good this year.

I have been in contact with Greg at Specialty Z. He has been super helpful as always, but I've tried just about everything we came up with, but to no avail. Since they are closed for the weekend, and it will be a few days before I can see if Greg has any other thoughts, I figured I would post to see if anyone else has any ideas.
Greg was fairly confident that it was a problem in the CTS or MAF area, but I have had no luck there.

I do have a code 34 that I have had for some time. I have a problem somewhere in the main harness that I need to track down.

My build included:
EXP90 kit
MSP manifolds
SZ chip
3" EXP downpipes
3-2.5" test pipes
Clutch
Fuel pressure gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Timing belt/water pump
Battery relocation to the trunk
PTU relocated to nose panel
HICAS delete
Installed Innovate Wideband

I have tried the following:
Fresh gas/octane booster
New spark plugs
Tested coil packs
Unplugged O2's
Unplugged MAF's
Checked CTS wiring (Fan only comes on when the connector is unplugged and engine is running, not when just the key is turned. Is this right?)
Bypassed Selin translator
Switched passenger/driver MAF
Checked/added ground to battery
Swapped PTU
Swapped fuel pressure regulator/damper (sits right around 43)
Swapped SZ chip out for Z1 chip (same injectors)
Double and triple checked ECU connector
Boost leak test (only small leak at passenger VTC solenoid, which I have had for some time and have been told is not a problem).

That's about all I can remember right now. Any and all help appreciated. I want to get this thing back on the road!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.