TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Are my wastegate actuators bad?
People Seeking Info

Subject Are my wastegate actuators bad?

Posted by rgonzales39355 on April 08, 2014 at 8:17 AM
  This message has been viewed 812 times.

Message My Z always overboosts, I have had this problem for quite some while and I just cant figure it out. Basically what it does is anytime I boost the car I have to let off the throttle so it doesnt boost higher than 12 PSI. Im not sure when I first got the problem. I noticed it after I changed my clutch and added down pipes and testpipes after coming back from a 6 month deployment. I know it was working correctly before I left but I dont know if the problem started after I came back or after I did the clutch and exhaust work.

I have a Greddy Profec B II installed and I had it set to only boost to 12lbs.

As far as trouble shooting this is what Ive done.

1. Applied metered compressed air to the brain of the boost controller. The display reads the correct PSI and the solenoid clicks when it reaches 12lbs.

2. I hear that the greddy Solenoids are known to fail so I replaced the solenoid with a new one and have the same issue.

3. Applied compressed air to the wastegate actuators independently and I can hear the rod click and see it move.

4. I turned the boost controller off and drove the car and it had the same problem. It is my understanding that if you turn the controller off boost should be limited to the spring pressure which is around 6PSI.

Number four makes me think that maybe one or both of my waste gate actuators are bad. Is there any way that I can test them in the car?

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should check or recheck? I am at a loss.

I consider myself to be reasonably mechanically inclined but I just cant figure this one out. I would take it to a shop but I dont know of any within 1-2 hours of Beaufort SC.

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

JDM TT swap
JWT pop charger
SZ 3 inch downpipe
SZ 3-2.5" test pipe
SZ/RPS lightened flywheel
SZ/RPS 5 puck clutch
unorthodox under drive pulley
UR HI waterpump pulley
unknown brand 2.5" catback
Z1 ECU
Greddy profec B boost controler
Stillen radiator hardpipe
Mishimoto radiator
Deleted hot start solenoid
carbon canister delete
AIV solenoid delete
Cruise Control delete
interior innovation seat skins

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.