TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Is it time to pull the motor and more?
People Seeking Info

Subject Is it time to pull the motor and more?

Posted by rightfoot on March 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 191 times.

Message Hi all,

History.

I've got a 93 TT with the Stillen Stage III kit, I believe it was called, hi-flow intake, exhaust and computer. The car has treated me very well, has been very strong all it's life so far at 93K miles. However, with intermittent problems for the past several years.

Over the years, I made the mistake of high pressure washing the engine compartment and I suspect I've gotten water into some of the connectors because of the intermittent problems which all appear to be electrical.

A few years ago, it started running badly on and off and changing injectors, cleaning connectors, new fuel pressure regular and other basic things never changed a thing. Recently, a friend touched one of the injector wires and the engine instantly started running fine. Figured simple, loose injector wire or needs more modern connector but since then, that no longer works.

Spent quite some time trying to get at as many connectors as I possibly could but the problems still exist. The engine and rear are also starting to show signs of seepage which leads me to this post.

For some reason, I've never been able to connect a pc to the ECU because it just won't connect. I've purchased three different makes on cables/units and none get a connection. Calling Stillen then the folks who did the mod lead to nothing, they say nope, can't be.

Anyhow, at this point in my life, it's mostly sitting in the garage because I don't have the budget to bring it in and get some ungodly bill to be told it's something expensive. I am very technical but pulling an engine of this type considering the space and the amount of stuff in there makes me very nervous and is not something I've ever done. Yet, it seems like this is what I need to do. It seems that it's time to pull the motor, get new gaskets and seals on everything, check all of the connections, clean everything up, etc etc, if I want to make this car last instead of letting it slowly fade.

In fact, while it's apart, I'd like to perhaps upgrade the turbos, intercooler/s and other bolt on stuff along with newer suspension mods because I'd like to do the Nevada challenge as a future goal.

I've pulled motors on older cars but those are dirt simple, wondering if I could get some input, thoughts, help on trying to make this decision and what I might be facing, looking forward to, costs, things of that nature. I'm pretty excited about doing this but I also feel I'll be over my head.

Thanks for any input you can offer and happy to give what ever more details you need to advise.

Mike

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.