TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Anyone replaced valve stem seals w/ heads on the engine?
People Seeking Info

Subject Anyone replaced valve stem seals w/ heads on the engine?

Posted by my91z on July 04, 2011 at 12:49 PM
  This message has been viewed 3968 times.

Message Can't find much in search.

I'm swapping 5-spd cams into my oringally-auto JDM TT engine along with some other mods. Engine is out of the car, and having the exhaust manifolds off I can see that some of the exhaust valve seals are letting oil seep down the valve stems, so I did some searching to see how difficult it would be to replace the seals once I have the cams out (all I have left to do is unbolt the cam retaining caps right now).

I found a nice writeup on MakrIVSupra.net Supra Valve Seal Removal and Replacement Writeup and am hoping the process is similar for the Z, and that someone can confirm that.

I plan to use the rope-in-the-sparkplug-hole method to stop the valve dropping, and to use the Z1 viton valve seals.

I was hoping some people could chime in on what valve retainer/keeper removal tool they used, and what they used to pull the old seals out with. I'm looking at using the Lisle 36200 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer and Schley (SP 92350) Narrow Access Valve Stem Seal Removal Pliers
unless someone has a better reccomendation, or some horror stories on these tools.

Thanks for any input,

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------

Click here to e-mail me!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.