TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Stop Door Rattles and Thump Shut Like a Mercedes
People Seeking Info

Subject Stop Door Rattles and Thump Shut Like a Mercedes

Posted by Gordo 93TT Daytona on May 10, 2009 at 1:18 PM
  This message has been viewed 5008 times.

Message The door had some rattles when driving and when being shut it had kind of a hollow metal drum-like sound. First I pulled the panel off. There are a couple of good posts on how to do this. I used this one: Door Panel Removal

DYNAMAT ON LOWER INNER DOOR SKINS

After pulling the speakers and seatbelt assys out, access is open to the inside of the door skin. It is important to clean the inside of the door cavity of all grease and debris. To address some of the panel vibrations, three (3) strips of dynamat, each about 4" x 12" were applied to the lower part of the door inside doorskin. You don't need to cover the complete inside, just enough to stop the vibrations. I used my knuckle to tap on the outside door skin in order to locate dynamat placement.

AIR DUCTS

One of the rattles was caused by the audio installers who left screws missing on the door panel air ducts. I replaced these screws and added some duct tape to secure the assembly.

FOAM BETWEEN INNER DOOR SKIN AND SAFETY CHANNEL

A latex-based foam was added between the inner door skin and the intrusion [crash] bar which runs the width of the door. This channeled bar is about 7 or 8 inches in height. A half inch diameter silicon tube was pressed up from the bottom between the bar and the inside skin to hold the foam in the cavity while it cured. In order to allow water to easily drain from this cavity, the foam was only applied in three (3) sections along the width of the bar. This left five (5) channels for rainwater to exit through the drain openings in the door cavity bottom.

A latex foam was used for this project. This is not the same type of foam as the strengthening injected foam used on some projects. This is a very soft pliable foam and cleans up easily. It was choosen because it would not expand and distort the door skin under pressure from the inside. It purpose is to absorb the door skin panel vibration and deaden sound of the hollow drum-like acoustical sounds.

SPEAKER CUSHIONING

Finally sound absorption shredded foam was added to the inside of the door panel around the speaker housings.

Finally finished. The rattles are gone. The speakers sound much better... And when the door is shut, there is a appreciable difference. It doesn't sound like a 'bank vault'... but it no longer has that tinny hollow sound either. I would say it sounds about $10,000 better.

gordo

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.