TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Using a 90-93 (older CAS) w. a 1995 EFI Harness
People Seeking Info

Subject Using a 90-93 (older CAS) w. a 1995 EFI Harness

Posted by Bernie (NoVA) on September 24, 2008 at 2:50 AM
  This message has been viewed 5888 times.

Message This one is pretty simple but I see it getting asked now and again.

The CAS (crank angle sensor) sets the timing on the car. The unit was functionally unchanged for the production run of the Z32, however the connector was updated in 1994 to an oval plug similar to the new style injector connectors. When using a 1995 EFI harness it is necessary to EITHER use a new style CAS or splice over your original connector and continue to use original unit.

A new style 94+ CAS seems to be harder to come by then a 90-93 unit and buying one new can be price prohibitive (~$350). I prefer to use a new style unit if available as I think the newer connector seals against moisture & corrosion better, however this method is still a valid option for many people.

90-93 Old Style Connector:

94+ New Style Connector:

Step 1.
Clip & save the CAS connector and about 5" of wire from your old EFI harness.

Step 2.
Cut off the oval CAS connector from the 1995 EFI harness and cut the plastic harness tubing to expose the wires inside.

Step 3.
Splice as follows:

old CAS connector -> 95 Harness
Black white stripe -> Black white stripe
Black -> Black w. silver hash mark
Green yellow stripe -> white (paired in shield)
Green black stripe -> black (paired in shield)

Step 4.
solder, heat shrink tube & tape the wire sheath back together, make sure you have no shorts or wire poking through your insulation as this will cause misfire and hesitation.

Thanks to Seb @ Specialty Z for verifying the wire matchings for me the 1st time I did it here, and to Guapo for CAS connector pictures.

HI Overdrive Water Pump Pullies Are Here!

Bernie

Bernie Bilski berniebilski@cox.net
1995 Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo in Cobalt Green
1997 Nissan 240SX SE in Ultra Red (some assembly required)
1995 Nissan Pick-Up XE in Super Black
ZCCNV #390 ~ ECZA #368

Need INSTALLS, DIAGNOSTICS, SERVICE or PARTS in the NoVA/DC/MD area?
Please email me or check out my current inventory.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.