TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Having issues getting your hood to align properly?
People Seeking Info

Subject Having issues getting your hood to align properly?

Posted by BOOZTD 3 on January 20, 2007 at 6:25 PM
  This message has been viewed 3564 times.

Message Ive noticed this on alot of Z's I've worked on, and I'm sure its obvious to some people, but I figured I'd do a little PSA on this issue that is too common on our cars.

At some point I'm sure a shop goon (or yourself) has had issues getting under the cross member or the correct jack points for the car. Instead of taking the time to do it right, the car gets the radiator support treatment. Placing the jack under the rad/core support will do this to your car....

This causes the hood to line up like this....

Heres what you'll need to do to fix it...

Start by removing the front fascia. This should be a no brainer. My customers car has the motor out, so things are a little more accessible at this point.

Remove the intake setup, revealing this

Remove the oil cooler and bracket, set it aside

After that I unbolted the two 10mm nuts that hold the AC condensor in place, and pushed it back a bit, giving me access to the whole support.

I skipped this step but I also removed the white bar you see in the above picture.

Now get out your mallet....

This is where the fun starts. Just begin beating downward on the support until it evens out. You'll see what you need to do to correct it. You also want to hammer a bit on the top radiator support because its been pushed up as well (the whole assembly moves up when you put the jack under there, and thats why the hood sits how it does)

After you're satisfied, get all the bolt holes lined up, reassemble, and check your gaps. The car is happy now and the hood lines up. You can see the hood sits flush on the headlight trim now as well.

Now its time for a cold one!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.