TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - How To Remove Iron Flashing From Coolant Galleys
People Seeking Info

Subject How To Remove Iron Flashing From Coolant Galleys

Posted by PunkZTT(Phoenix) on April 20, 2004 at 2:32 AM
  This message has been viewed 5164 times.

Message The stock Nissan shortblock is very restrictive in regards to coolant flow. For the most part, this problem is due to the leftover metal in the galleys from when the block was cast. Removal of this material will help facilitate coolant flow to rear portions of the engine. The #6 cylinder (farthest to the rear) is the one that usually breaks first due to insufficient cooling. Removing the casting will help cool this cylinder better, subsiquently, it will help prolong your engine life.

Flashing in the coolant galley

Difficulty: Easy (Roughly 45 minutes)

Timeframe: The best time to do this mod is any time that you have your motor out. You could even do it during a 60k maintinence, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Tools Needed:
Dremel (or any sufficient grinder that can get into the tight spaces)
Grinding bits - I used a cylindrical one that came with my Dremel. Different shapes would help in reaching different areas of the galley better, but they are not needed.
Hose - To flush out the block when you are done.
Flashlight - To see inside the galley
Gloves
Protective Eyewear

Demel Tool

Close-up on grinding bit

1. Strip the engine down to the shortblock and drain all the fluids left in the block.

2. Turn the dremel on and set it to about 5/6 of full power.

3. Begin grinding the flashing closest to you down. Move the dremel up and down along the flashing. This will help the process go faster as well as keep everything even. Exercise extreme caution when working around the mating surfaces for the water pump. Try not to let the dremel slip and mar up the surface.

Grinding away at the flashing..

4. After you have the first set of flashing ground off, move deeper into the passage to get at the rear portions. You might have to adjust the bit on your dremel a little bit in order to reach this area.

Halfway through the job

5. Continue to grind down the flashing in the rear portions of the galley. Don't forget to grind the top of the galley.

6. After the bulk of the flashing is removed, begin to smooth out the galley. Take off all of the stock cast marks on the inside of the galley. Once it is smooth, begin to blend everything together, creating a smooth confluence to the rear of the cooling passage.

7. After you are satisfied with your job, I reccomend that you grind down the passage directly to the right. It took me an extra 5 minutes and it helped clean out old rust deposits.

8. Once you are done grinding, take your block out of the garage and spray a hose into the coolant passages on the decks of the shortblock (the holes on top). This will prevent the shavings from going back into the block. After you have flushed everything out, Hose off the rest of the block in order to clean off all of the leftover iron specs.

9. Dry off the block. Add a coating of WD-40 to the exterior to keep it from rusting.

Finished Product :)

- Currently Broken

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.