TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Easy way to install/remove power steering belt
People Seeking Info

Subject Easy way to install/remove power steering belt

Posted by doug8867 on July 07, 2010 at 8:23 AM
  This message has been viewed 20303 times.

Message Removing and installing the power steering belt has to be one of the most maddening jobs on the Z. Upon initial inspection, it seems simple enough, until you discover that the power steering pump does not slide as it is supposed to on its bracket.

Unlike the other accessory belts on the car like the AC and alternator, the power steering pump/pulley assembly does not allow enough slack in the belt even when the appropriate bolts have been loosened, making it near impossible to get the belt off or on without considerable effort and the appropriate use of a cuss word or two. :-)

I won't get into why this is, but do a quick search on tt.net and you'll see the topic has been discussed many, many times and various "work around" suggestions such as tapping the pump with a hammer, prying at the pump, disconnecting the ps reservoir, having a friend help you "walk the belt on", etc. have been suggested to address this, but all seem to require much more effort than is necessary to simply change a belt.

However, I thought I would share an amazingly simple method that worked for me to single handedly remove and install the power steering belt.

Tools needed:
14 mm socket w/ 3/8" ratchet
27 mm socket and 1/2" Ratchet
3" socket extension (optional if your 27 mm socket is not deep enough)
14 mm wrench (ratcheting wrench suggested)
12 mm wrench (ratcheting wrench suggested)
10 mm wrench (or socket)
18" Pry bar
A fixed light source

300zx power steering belt tools

Once you have the car jacked up with the parking brake ON, put the car in NEUTRAL. This is to allow the crank bolt to move freely when you turn it later on. Slide under the car head first.

Use the 10 mm wrench or socket to remove the under shield. Optionally, if you want to give yourself more room and visibility, remove the black lower fan guide that is attached to the radiator by unclipping the 3 clips.

The power steering pump assembly and will be on your right directly above the alternator.

There are 3 bolts that need to be loosened on the power steering pump assembly. The 14 mm pivot bolt which is behind the pump pulley, the 14 mm slider bolt nut, and the 12 mm slider adjustment bolt.

This pic taken from my alternator write up shows the PS slider adjustment bolt right above my blurry hand. (Disregard the long alternator pivot bolt which is shown sticking out in the pic. Yours won't look like this, at least not if your alternator is still where it's supposed to be. :-)

Photobucket

To access the PS pivot bolt you will need to position the pulley on the power steering pump so that you can use one of the holes in the pulley to access the bolt.

To position the pulley, make sure the car is in neutral and parking brake on, then use the 27 mm socket on the crank bolt and rotate the crank bolt which will also rotate the power steering pulley. The pivot bolt is located at approximately the 2 o'clock position behind the pulley so you want the access hole to line up with this position. You'll have to periodically use your finger to feel for the bolt head as you turn the pulley. Note: there is another bracket bolt at about the 4 o'clock position which is NOT the correct bolt to loosen so don't mess with this one.

Once you've positioned the pulley appropriately to access it, use your smaller 3/8" ratchet and 14 mm socket to loosen the pivot bolt four or five turns. (note: a larger 1/2" ratchet does not fit well into the space.)

Next loosen the 14 mm slider bolt nut a couple turns and then back out (turn counter clockwise) the 12 mm slider adjustment bolt almost all the way. Before doing this, take note of the number of threads showing out the end of the slider so that when you go to re-tighten the adjustment bolt later you will have an idea where you need to be.

Now that you have all three bolts loosened, the theory is that you should just be able to apply some pressure on the pump and it will slide towards the engine on its bracket and you will have enough slack to remove the belt. However, this is a pipe dream. If your car is like 99% of the other Z's out there nothing about the power steering pump will noticeably budge at this point, even though everything has been loosened as it should be.

Here is the method I used to get around this.
Use your right hand to position your pry bar against the alternator bracket and then slightly pry the PS belt up and towards the edge of the crank pulley. While you have the belt pried up you simultaneously turn the crank pulley with your left hand. Do this for several revolutions and this will essentially "walk the belt" off the pulley.

The pic below was taken after everything was installed but shows the basic position of the pry bar.

300zx power steering belt removal

Installation is the same except you use the pry bar to guide the belt back on to the pulley. Position the belt properly on the PS pulley first, then align one edge of the belt on the crank pulley. Position the pry bar under the belt to lift it's leading edge on the edge of the crank pulley and then turn the crank bolt the appropriate direction to walk the belt back on.

Once you've got the belt on, use your hands to feel along both pulleys to make sure the belt is fully on as it is supposed to be, then retighten the 3 bolts. Start with the slider nut first and just slightly tighten but you don't want it fully tightened yet. Next tighten the adjustment bolt so that close to the same number of threads are showing on it as it was when you started. Once you've got that, then fully tighten the slider bolt nut, and then the pivot bolt hand tight or (23 - 25 lbs).

I was amazed at how quickly and easily this method worked considering all the hours of frustration I'd spent doing this job in years past! Hopefully it will help spare others wasted time and frustration too!

doug8867

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.